Uniforms & Concert Attire: Stevenson Instrumental Music Program
Students are required to be dressed appropriately for all performances
Wind Ensemble / Symphonic Band / Concert Band performances, including concerts and festivals:
- "Concert Black" attire. This is comprised of: Plain black dress pants, white wing collar pleated tuxedo shirt (see example below), plain black jacket (no stripes on jackets or pants), black socks, and dress black shoes.
- Bow ties and cummerbunds are worn with tux shirts and jackets and are provided by the band.
- Instead of a tuxedo shirt and jacket, ladies may opt to wear a dressy black blouse with black slacks / full length long black skirt or a long black dress with black dress shoes. If choosing this option, skirts and dresses MUST fall beneath the knees to approximately calf length as performers are often elevated on stage.
- No jeans, no lululemons, no stretch pants, no leggings, no skirts or dresses above the calf. Avoid high heels.
- This attire is be worn by all students performing with any of these ensembles, no matter their band class(es).
Example of a wing collar tux shirt
Wing collar tux shirts can be purchased locally at Wesner Tuxedo or online at amazon.com.
Jazz Band performances, including concerts and festivals:
- "Formal Jazz Band" attire. This is comprised of: Plain black dress pants, a regular collared button down dress shirt, tie, plain black jacket (no stripes on jackets or pants), black socks, and dress black shoes.
- Tie and shirt colors may be coordinated with collaboration between Mr. Sekich and the students.
- Instead of a button down shirt, tie, and jacket, ladies may opt to wear a conservative long black dress with black dress shoes (flats preferred). If choosing this option, dresses MUST fall beneath to the knees or longer as performers are often elevated on stage.
- No jeans, no lululemons, no stretch pants, no leggings, no dresses above the knees.
- This attire is be worn by all students performing with this ensemble, no matter their band class(es). Students performing "double duty" (performing with both the Jazz Band and another Stevenson concert ensemble) may opt to just wear the "Concert Black" attire above.
All students, with the exception of the Colorguard (and depending on the season’s show, percussionists), will receive a UCS Stevenson Titan Marching Band uniform. These uniforms are VERY expensive and must be well taken care of. If it is lost or damaged, it will be at the students/family expense. All marching band uniforms are dry cleaned (paid for by UCS) at the end of each school year. If the uniform needs cleaning during the season, it is the responsibility of the student/parent to make sure this is done.
- When in uniform – either Full or Summer – students must own & wear Marching Shoes (except Color Guard which has their own shoe requirement). Marching shoes are purchased through the band.
- Full (Formal) Marching Band Uniforms:
- All school-issued full uniforms are the property of Utica Community Schools; they are to go home following performances, primarily so they can be aired out (hint: toss a couple fresh fabric softener sheets in your garment bag after each use to help keep uniforms smelling fresh). Racks are provided in the band room for uniforms to be hung properly if they are brought to school on the day of a performance.
- NEVER STORE FULL UNIFORM PIECES IN A BAND LOCKER OR LEAVE THEM ON THE FLOOR
- Parents/students are responsible for the full replacement cost of their uniform (approximately $500) should it not be returned or is damaged beyond repair. NEVER, EVER cut or trim uniform material!
- Full uniforms consist of:
• Jacket (school property)
• Bibs (school property)
• Hat (shako) + case (except tubas, school property)
• Plumes (school property, issued and returned on performance days)
• Marching Shoes (purchased by student / student property)
• Socks (same color as shoes, must extend at least 3” above the ankle, student property)
• White gloves (student property, issued just prior to the 1st performance where they are to be worn)
• Students in sections that require gloves will be issued one pair (replacement pairs are $3/ea)
- Students are responsible for:
• Keeping track of their uniform pieces
• Returning uniforms at the end of the season in the same condition as they were issued
• Keeping their uniform hung up properly to prevent wrinkling
• Keeping their uniform dry / aired out
• Taking their uniform home following all performances (do not leave them at SHS)
- School-owned uniforms are issued, tracked, and collected by the Band Boosters. They are sent out to be dry cleaned (paid by UCS) at the conclusion of each season.
- Parent volunteers will coordinate the sizing and distribution of uniforms prior to the first performance at which they will be worn (under the guidance of the Band Director based on weather and other factors).
- Marching Band members that are typically not issued a formal marching band uniform:
• Color Guard (always wear a different uniform)
• Drumline and/or Frontline (depending on show and membership numbers)
• These students will receive separate information about what they are wearing as the season approches
- All Marching Band members will need a Summer Uniform
- Summer Marching Band Uniforms:
- For hot weather performances, marchers wear white shorts (NO SHORT SHORTS or STRIPES - purchased individually at the store of your choice), marching shoes, socks that match the shoe color, and a performance t-shirt (either our navy blue performance shirts or the current season’s theme shirt).
- Blue Titans Band baseball caps are worn at Mr. Sekich’s direction
- All shorts must be approved prior to the first performance
- Theme t-shirts are issued to all Marching Band members; cost is included in the Marching Band fee.
- Navy Blue t-shirts must be purchased through the Band Boosters. This shirt is the same every season.
Updated June 18, 2023