MARCHING BAND TIP OF THE DAY, JUNE 28th EDITION!
Every member, including Color Guard, of the marching band must obtain a sports physical, fully complete the official MHSAA Pre-Participation Physical form, and then submit a copy (both sides) of the form on or prior to the first day of our camp on Wednesday, August 11th.
The physical itself must be completed by a licensed Medical Doctor, Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Physicians Assistant or Nurse Practitioner.
Take care to complete ALL sections of the form on BOTH sides. Legibility matters! These forms will be kept on file in the band room during camp and would be sent with your child to a medical facility in the unlikely event they need prompt medical attention that cannot be provided at school. The information on this form is the parent's voice in assisting someone that would be caring for your child should you not be immediately available to answer questions about their medical background, etc.
Important: A current-year physical is one given on or after April 15 of the previous school year (so for this year, dated on or after April 15, 2021). The clock resets on sports physicals given prior to April 15th once the school year ends. Participation in Marching Band, like football, marks the start of a new calendar year and requires a new physical. Sports physicals given on or after April 15 are valid for the entire 2021-22 school year, including spring sports in 2022.
No exceptions - All students MUST have a physical completed and turned in to participate when camp opens on August 11th!
- This rule comes directly from Utica Community Schools. It is compulsory for members of all four UCS marching bands. No flexibility.
- Do not submit the original form to the band. Make a copy and submit the photocopy. UCS does not maintain a centralized/consolidated list of students that have completed their physical. Instead, students that participate in athletics must submit a separate copy to their coach / athletic director
- Completed forms can be dropped off in the band room when it is open during the summer; this is primarily during Color Guard (10 AM - noon) and Percussion (6 - 8 PM) practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Place them in the Blue Box that's mounted on the wall underneath the American flag. You can also send them via USPS to Mr. Austerman at 2804 Arrowwood Ct., Sterling Heights 48314
- In addition to your doctor's office, sports physicals are usually available at a number of urgent care and walk-in clinics in the area. Possible choices include Beaumont Urgent Care, CVS Minute Clinic, Concentra, Doctors Urgent Care, Lakeside Urgent Care, and more. Typical pricing is around $25.
- As August gets closer, the demand for physicals increases. Do not wait until the week before camp!
share this post: