Solo & Ensemble: Stevenson Instrumental Music Program
Stevenson HS MSBOA District XVI Solo & Ensemble Information
Bookmark and return to this page for the latest updates
Updated October 8, 2018:
District XVI High School Solo and Ensemble Festival is scheduled for Saturday, February 2, 2019 at Rochester High School. Percussion events with larger instruments: there is an option to attend on Friday evening, February 1st. See Mr. Sekich for details!
Instructions and information on how to register for District Solo and Ensemble is now available on stevensonbands.org and on paper in the band room. Forms and payments are due to Mr. Sekich by the end of the school day on Friday, October 26th. You must be paid in full in order for your registration to be submitted to MSBOA!
The following information will be available in early/mid January 2019:
- Site Map of Rochester HS
Helpful Solo & Ensemble Tips
- Arrive to the school to give yourself plenty of time to find your warm up room, and to warm up properly
- Make sure that your accompanists and your ensemble members know where to meet you, and what time
- Make sure you are dressed professionally, yet comfortable enough so that you are able to perform your best
- Brass players do not stand face on with the adjudicator while you are performing. Always quarter off during performances
- Do not make excuses and learn how to take a compliment. Do not “point out” mistakes you made. Remember, there is no such thing as a “perfect performance”
- Always keep your emotions out of the performance room
- Avoid drinking milk or eating dairy products prior to performances for all woodwind and brass players
- Woodwinds, ALWAYS have a back up reed you have played on already with you at ALL TIMES
- Brass players, do not clean out your instrument the night before the performance. This changes the air resistance of your horn
- Brass players, have valve oil with you in the room
- Bring bottled water if you get dry mouth
- Thank the judge for listening to you after the performance
- Have fun! This is your time to show off!
Your biggest fan,